eGlycemic Management System® from Glytec fosters safer, less costly care for insulin-requiring patients with and without diabetes.
eGlycemic Management System®, or eGMS®, is a comprehensive, modularized technology solution proven to address the complex processes, risks and challenges surrounding effective and efficient glycemic control.
eGMS® centers on Glucommander™, the only patented and FDA-cleared software-as-medical-device (SaMD) platform able to support intravenous and subcutaneous insulin dosing (and transitions between) for patients with and without diabetes — adult and pediatric alike — across the entire continuum of care.
Insulin Dosing Decision Support
Glucommander™ utilizes evidence-based multivariate algorithms to provide care teams with computerguided dosing recommendations that continuously recalculate and dynamically adjust to each individual patient’s blood glucose trends, insulin sensitivities and response to therapy.
Expressly designed to overcome the problems associated with traditional insulin dosing practices, its safety and efficacy have been validated by more than 65 research studies.
Glucommander™ is comprised of multiple modules:
- Glucommander™ IV for intravenous insulin dosing of adult patients.
- Glucommander™ Pediatrics IV for intravenous insulin dosing of pediatric patients (age >2 years).
- Glucommander™ SubQ for subcutaneous insulin dosing with options for basal/bolus+correction, basal+correction, and basal/insulin:carb ratio+correction. (Glucommander™ SubQ is able to easily accommodate use of carbohydrate counting as the basis for determining a patient’s subcutaneous meal bolus insulin dose.)
- Glucommander™ Transition to SubQ for transitions from intravenous to subcutaneous insulin dosing of adult and pediatric patients.
- Glucommander™ Outpatient for subcutaneous insulin dosing of adult patients in an ambulatory setting.
Patient Risk Identification
If persistent hyperglycemia goes undetected and insulin therapy is delayed or overlooked, the risk of mortality, morbidity and readmission increases significantly and length of stay is extended by an average of four and a half days.
The GlucoSurveillance® module of Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® interfaces with a laboratory information system to perform continuous real-time surveillance and analysis of blood glucose values, flagging patients throughout the hospital who meet pre-defined (configurable) criteria for persistent hyperglycemia over a specified time interval (typically, two or more blood glucose values greater than 180 mg/dL inside 48 hours).
Pharmacists, charge nurses, physicians or other clinical leaders can quickly view the status of these patients and ensure that an order for intravenous or subcutaneous insulin is placed in a timely manner.
Glycemic Status & Alerts
GlucoView® is a module of Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® that provides a centralized (dedicated) dashboard display of primary glycemic status indicators for all patients in a designated unit.
GlucoView® is designed to aid and simplify the nursing effort surrounding timely monitoring of blood glucose for patients on intravenous insulin therapy. The dashboard display includes last blood glucose test results and current infusion rates as well as countdown timers specifying when blood glucose checks are next due. Visual alerts and/or audible alarms serve as reminders.
GlucoView® helps foster essential communication and coordination within clinical care teams, especially during shift changes.
Single Sign-On EMR Integration
With our proprietary SmartClick® technology, users launch the eGlycemic Management System® from a menu option within the EMR, via a single click, bypassing the need for a separate login.
Users interact with the eGlycemic Management System® Glucommander™ module (for insulin dosing decision support) directly from a patient’s chart.
- Demographic data for patients receiving insulin therapy may be drawn directly into Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® through an interface with a hospital’s admission, discharge and transfer (ADT) system, with continuous real-time updates.
- Glytec is able to populate blood glucose test results directly to the eGlycemic Management System® through a laboratory information system (LIS) interface, eliminating the time and effort it takes nurses to manually enter data, and avoiding the risk and opportunity for error. If blood glucose data from point-of-care connected meters is sent electronically to an LIS, you may configure the eGlycemic Management System® to automatically enter the last known values. An LIS interface also supports the GlucoSurveillance® module (see above).
- A bi-directional HL7 interface between Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® and your patient charting system allows for both inbound retrieval of clinical data needed to calculate personalized insulin dose recommendations, such as height and weight, and outbound transmission of insulin dose data once verified as administered.
Reporting & Analytics
Setting goals and expectations for quality and performance improvement, and measuring progress in an ongoing manner, are essential to achieving best practices in glycemic management, which is why the GlucoMetrics® module of Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® is so vital.
GlucoMetrics® offers a sophisticated framework for dynamic, customizable report and dashboard creation that includes a robust portfolio of clinical and administrative KPIs (key performance indicators).
The GlucoMetrics® environment is entirely point and click, it does not require any programming effort or computer science skill. Users select from a wide array of metrics, such as incidence of hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, time to target, patient utilization, blood glucose ranges, recheck compliance, outliers and more, all of which can be trended over a designated time period. Further discovery is possible by applying drill-down filters, such as diabetes history, patient location, treatment type, renal status, BMI, diagnosis or insurance, among others.
Hospital-to-Home Discharge Recommendations
Determining the most appropriate discharge insulin regimen is often difficult, especially when a patient’s clinical status is in flux due to illness, stress of surgery, dietary changes, new concomitant medications or an initial diagnosis of diabetes. A prior regimen may need to be intensified or a brand new regimen established.
Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® is equipped with a special Hospital-to-Home module, or H2H®, to aid clinicians with this transition.
H2H® analyzes a patient’s A1C, subcutaneous insulin dosing history and final blood glucose value to formulate home regimen considerations. Clinicians don’t face the struggle of coalescing data and manually calculating against paper protocols. For convenience, a copy of the recommendations may be printed.
Cloud-Hosted, Vendor-Suported Platform
Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® is cloud hosted at a HIPAA-compliant colocation data center with Tier 4 certification and SSAE 16 accreditation. You won’t have to incur the time, manpower or expense associated with purchasing, configuring, testing, securing, supporting and maintaining a server.
eGlycemic Management System® is a subscription-based software-as-a-service, and Glytec manages everything on our end, including all backups, updates and upgrades.
Glytec is a high-touch organization, our team members are very professional and knowledgeable, and we take great pride in providing clients timely and appropriate issue response. Our Tier 2 technical and clinical support is available 24/7/365 and all inquiries are triaged and managed according to issue severity level (Service Level Agreement).