Glytec Announces Next Evolution of GlucoMetrics as Hospitals Prepare for New CMS Measures
Glytec today announced the next evolution of GlucoMetrics® to provide new analytics, dashboards, and data visualizations that give hospitals and health systems new insight into glycemic outcomes. The enhanced visibility comes as hospitals prepare for new measures from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on severe hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia that encourage facilities to report metrics starting in early 2024.
GlucoMetrics is powered by data from Glytec’s eGlycemic Management System® (eGMS). Centered on Glucommander,® eGMS is an EHR-integrated, HITRUST certified, cloud-based software system that supports personalized insulin dosing decision support at the point of care.
With significant enhancements to GlucoMetrics, glycemic management committees and hospital leaders now have self-serve access to key performance indicators, trends, and benchmarks related to glycemia treatment across their entire health system. GlucoMetrics is pre-configured with six interactive dashboards to help surface insights at both a macro and micro level. These dashboards include:
- GlucoMetrics Overview – shows trends, performance against internal benchmarks, and comparison to other Glucommander users all in one place.
- Treated vs. Untreated – provides insights into patients who are treated using Glucommander, compared to those who are not treated on Glucommander and had several readings >180 mg/dL over the course of at least two days.
- Blood Glucose Measurement Timeliness – provides insights into the response time for hourly blood glucose checks for patients on Glucommander IV insulin therapy.
- Patient Stays – provides metrics of patient-stays above, below or in range, important because CMS will be tracking hypoglycemia rates.
- Patient Days – provides metrics of patient-days above, below or in range, important because CMS will be tracking hyperglycemia rates.
- Blood Glucose Values – provides metrics of all blood glucose checks and the proportion above, below or in range.
These dashboards include filters to segment data by time frame, facility, unit, treatment type (IV or subcutaneous) and more, to provide granular details across an entire healthcare system or down to an individual hospital unit level. Users can also customize their experience with saved views and personalized email subscriptions. In addition, they can export charts, tables, graphs, and data to Microsoft Excel or PowerPoint for even more sophisticated analysis, further annotations, or distribution.
The actionable insights delivered by GlucoMetrics give hospitals and health systems the data they need to start internal benchmarking. They also give glycemic management teams the clinical indicators they need to identify underperforming areas so they can put processes in place that further improve patient outcomes.
“CMS is making it clear that hypoglycemia related to insulin is largely preventable, and early treatment and optimal management of severe hyperglycemia is a priority. But it’s hard to enact and measure this type of change without access to data, or the expertise to turn that data into actionable insights,” says Jordan Messler, MD, chief medical officer at Glytec. “Most hospitals have no way of easily looking across their facility to understand how effectively they’re managing patient blood sugars, and being able to look across an entire health system is even more rare. These enhancements to GlucoMetrics take a significant step towards providing the insight hospitals need to start asking – and answering – important questions.”
This article originally appeared in Endocrine News.